I get asked all the time from so many people the same question: how did I start blogging? I figured it was time for me to do a post dedicated specifically to how I got my start and how I managed to do this for six years. I’ve been doing this for awhile so I figured my tips could maybe help. I should start off by telling you how I first started, so here’s an anecdote for you all.
I was 17 and a senior in high school. I was also just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. This made me very depressed and very alone. My life changed and it changed during a time where the only thing I should have been stressed about was getting ready for college but now I had college and diabetes to worry about.
I’ve always loved fashion. I knew for sure I wanted to be a fashion journalist. I even did a journalism “boot camp” sort of. Okay, maybe boot camp is too extreme but it was an intense journalism workshop with local journalists. It really shaped me into the journalist I am today today and it made my interest for the field grow.
With my love for fashion, background as a writer, and a lot of spare time in a graphic design class I started my first blog “The Fashion Wheel“. If I remember correctly my first post was just me giving a review on the prom dresses my fellow classmates wore. Soon everyone in school knew me as “The Fashion Wheel” and started keeping up with my blog. I got bored with just doing fashion and after my break up with Ice King and a new wave of depression I knew it was time to start a new blog and that’s how S.A. the Writer was born.
I’m guessing the real question people want to ask is how I get to work with brands like L,Oreal, Dove, and a lot more brands. But to be completely honest, a lot of those just fell into place. When I start blogging, blogging was still fairly new and you had to be a top blogger to get a brand to even look at you. Now looking back I think my success came from a few different places.
For one thing, my wheelchair definitely set me apart from other fashion bloggers, and the Latina community has always been my biggest supporters. I signed up with Latina Blogger Connect and they helped me work with great brands. It’s nice to have a network back you up and believe in you. I was even nominated for an award in SXSW that was for Latinas that were making a difference online. Also, I kind of just made my blog at the perfect time. I made it during a time where bloggers were becoming more respected in the fashion industry.
- Find what you want to blog about. I loved fashion so I went for that, but you can seriously blog about anything. Just pick a hobby or interest and go for it. S.A. the Writer is a lifestyle blog and I talk about everything, so that could be an option. And mom blogs are always popular. I mean ridiculously popular.
- Get your friends involved, have them read your blog and help promote it.
- Promotion is key. If you want brands to see your blog you have to keep a Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook page for it. You guys want to know a secret? I actually don’t really like social media that much. I find it draining, I try to only use it for work purposes. Social media can be great for communication and advertising, but sometimes I just need a break.
- Choose your platform. I used Blogger for The Fashion Wheel and I use WordPress for S.A. the Writer. I prefer WordPress.com but you should choose what’s easiest for you. Pick a theme you like and don’t get stressed about a perfect layout. You’ll get that stuff together once you really get into blogging.
- Be professional. If you’re working with brands please send professional emails and if you’re reviewing products be honest about it. You have to follow FTC guidelines.
- Get to know your readers. Talk to them and interact with them. Answer questions and comments.
- Keep your blog updated. Post regular.
- Be yourself. As cheesy as that sounds, it’s true. Be yourself and you’ll definitely gain a following.